Saturday, August 21, 2010

Imagery for Stillness

The thunder spills promises from behind dark grey clouds as the rain falls swift and quiet. Drops fall for miles, gather speed, and shoot down their anchors through the steaming core of the earth. Suddenly, reality drenches me with truth, itself an unforgiving grimace; I beg for answers, but in return I get nothing: a bitter silence. I stand shaken, prism tears blend indistinguishably with sweat and rain; three impure solutions that morph into one clear pool of disappointment. I watch quietly as infant vines reach and grow beneath my feet, grabbing at my stillness with their sticky green fingers. The earth spins slowly, grinding on its axis, and in many ways I feel upside down more often than I feel right side up. The shallow puddles reflect the shedding of my jaded thoughts, my withered shell sopping wet and begging to sit and rest. I give in just this once, but only to sit and marinate in the sorrow. I tell myself it's only temporary.

For now, I appreciate the way the rain frantically washes away my splattered clay footprints- it banishes every trace of my existence just as fast as I arrived, reminding me that no single piece of earth is stamped with ownership. So here I stand: My feet planted firmly on a nameless corpse, the weight of my struggle sinks into the soggy earth, marble markings long ago faded away and I feel perfectly suited to this place. Not merely meant to evaporate- but instead to expand my lungs- if only for now- to make room for potential; my charred bones will eventually blend with the soil to sprout a most determined vessel... a landmark of a life well lived.

Where I came from and where I end up are most certainly connected with perfect clarity.

No comments: